• Menu
  • Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to secondary navigation
  • Skip to main content

My Pretoria

Pretoria's Community Site

  • News
  • Submit Pretoria News
  • Accomodation
  • Events
  • Free Business Listing
  • Free Events Listing
  • News
  • News
  • Submit Pretoria News
  • Accomodation
  • Events
You are here: Home / Government / Explosives smuggler handed 15-year sentence

Explosives smuggler handed 15-year sentence

9 November 2022 1:33 pm

The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI/Hawks) in Limpopo has welcomed the 15-year prison sentence handed to explosives smuggler, Alois Kamwaza.

The Musina Magistrate’s Court handed Kamwaza the sentence on Friday.

Said Hawks spokesperson, Captain Matimba Maluleke: “On 23 July 2022, Kamwaza was en route from Zimbabwe to South Africa when he was stopped by the border police at the Beitbridge port of entry. The police subjected the truck to a mandatory search and they made a shocking discovery of the explosives that were hidden inside a tool box at the back of his truck.

“The driver was interviewed and it was established that the explosives were destined for Gauteng province. The explosives, 779 units of blasting cartridges and three reels of detonating fuses, with the estimated value of R200 000, were seized and he was subsequently arrested.”

Kamwaza was in custody until he was sentenced on Friday.

In another separate but similar incident, an undocumented person was also sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for unlawful possession of explosives.

On 27 May 2022, members of the South African National Defence Force saw a suspicious man walking at Beitbridge port of entry. The members approached the man and upon searching his bag, members found 489 units of blasting cartridges, with a value of R146 700.

The accused, said Maluleke, Wilman Mwando (40), was arrested and he had been in police custody until he was convicted and sentenced to 15 years direct imprisonment by the Musina Magistrate’s Court on 4 November 2022.

“Mwando was also found guilty of failing to use the port of entry to enter RSA, and for entering and remaining in RSA without legal documentation. He was further fined R5 000 or three months imprisonment on each offence,” he said. – SAnews.gov.za

Filed Under: Government 9 November 2022 at 1:33 pm

About Alan

My ethos is espoused in the words of Nelson Mandela: “I have fought against white domination and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the idea of a democratic and free society. If need be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”

You will always find me standing on the side of the underdog OR HERE.

RSS feed: Pretoria/Tshwane PR News Pretoria/Tshwane PR News

  • Africa & African Diaspora Conference – 26–30 October 2026, Johannesburg 20 August 2026
  • Eco Smart Pest Control Publishes Pest Prevention Guide for Johannesburg Food Service Kitchens 20 August 2026
  • Dr. T Fletcher on Winter Eye Care in Johannesburg 20 August 2026
  • Gold Avenue: Secure Sandton Venue to Exchange Gold for Cash 20 August 2026
Previous Post: « President Ramaphosa in Kenya
Next Post: Department provides guidelines for inclusion of different gender identities in schools: An example of boundless individualism »
  • Free Business Listing
  • Free Events Listing
  • News

Copyright © 2026 · Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa · Privacy Policy